How SIP Trunking Can Improve Employee Productivity
The adoption of SIP trunking continues to grow. According to a recent survey by market research firm IHS, 62% of North American enterprises plan to use SIP trunking by 2017 compared to the 45% that use it today.
The increasing popularity of SIP trunking will come as no surprise to anyone who has implemented the technology and experienced its benefits. For many businesses, ease of expansion, flexibility and lower costs are all drivers of its adoption. But for those companies looking to increase employee productivity, SIP trunking can be an exceptionally smart telecommunication strategy. Here’s why:
- Unified Communications (UC). SIP trunking makes it easier to take advantage of UC capabilities. Features such as instant messaging, presence, video conferencing and desktop sharing can be quickly and seamlessly integrated and deployed throughout an organization, enabling faster and more efficient communication between employees and offices.
- Better Collaboration. Together, SIP trunking and UC greatly improve employee collaboration. Voice, data and email are centralized in one system, while integrated directories eliminate the need for employees to hunt for numbers. Instead, they simply click and call. Voicemails and documents can be shared on the fly, improving information flow and accelerating decision-making. In many instances, the number of steps in a task can be reduced to a single click, saving time and fostering a more productive work environment.
- Reliable Business Continuity. When companies deploy multiple SIP trunks, they can reduce their potential for downtime if an emergency occurs. By enabling them to easily switch communications to another location, SIP trunking ensures that business doesn’t grind to a halt.
- Remove Geographic Barriers. With its ability to integrate with local PSTNs, SIP trunking streamlines interaction between employees in multiple locations. Because they can be added easily to the same network and enjoy access to the same communications applications as workers at headquarters, both regional and international offices benefit. ShoreTel’s SIP support allows integration with several dozen service providers and multiple session border controllers.
- Simplified Extensions for Faster Calling. SIP trunking also enables four-digit dialing across the company’s network, regardless of geographic location. Because they no longer need to remember long phone numbers, employees at dispersed offices save time.
- On-the-Go Communications. By connecting seamlessly with mobile devices SIP trunking allows employees to make calls directly from their laptop, tablet or mobile phone. Not only are they freed from their physical office space, but colleagues and customers can reach traveling employees by dialing their regular number. Thus, work doesn’t slow down simply because of someone’s travel schedule.
- Robust Reporting Capabilities. Finally, SIP trunking gives businesses access to a range of reports that helps monitor productivity and take steps to make better use of underused resources. In contact centers, for example, managers use simple tools like agent dashboards to keep an eye on call activity and make any adjustments necessary to optimize performance.
These are just some of the ways that SIP trunking can yield significant productivity improvements. As existing infrastructure ages, many businesses that make the switch to VoIP, SIP trunking and unified communications will find they’ve not only lowered operational expenses, but increased ROI for the entire workforce.
Learn more about ShoreTel SIP here.