PoE Midspans sit in tandem to an existing Ethernet or Fast Ethernet switch and connect to standard Category 5 and above cabling. This architecture protects a customer’s investment in both Category 5 and above infrastructure and in Ethernet switch equipment.
By deploying a centralized uninterruptible power supply (UPS), PoE Midspans provide a cost-effective way to distribute backup power for a single Ethernet terminal. This capability increases IP telephony service reliability by ensuring that IP phones keep working in the event of power failures.
In addition to greater network availability, PowerDsine POE Midspans reduce installation and maintenance costs by eliminating the need for expensive installation of standard power cables. This is particularly true in hard-to-reach places such as ceilings where wireless access points are located.
- Simplicity: PowerDsine 6548 Power The 6500 Midspan (PoE injector) is a plug-and-play product.
- Scalability & Flexibility: The 6500 Series supports large installations using multiple 48 or 24-port units in places where multi-user IP telephony systems are installed. 12 and 6-port models optimally suit smaller installations where wirelesss LAN access points and security cameras are involved.
- Powerful Management: PowerDsine's PowerView Pro application provides a Web-based network management system that supports Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMPv3). PowerView Pro is fully standards-compliant and may be managed by such common management platforms as HP OpenView, SNMPc and others. Supported management functions include switching on and off of specific ports, setting Midspan parameters and monitoring Midspan activity.
- Standards Compliance: All 6500 series Midspans comply with the IEEE 802.3af standard, enabling full interoperability with common powered devices and ensuring the safety of non-PoE terminals.
- Increases availability: IP phones are always live, even during power outage
- Single cable connection per IP phone
- Works with existing Ethernet infrastructure and structured cabling
- Minimal Network Downtime: Midspan installation is designed to ensure that organizational productivity remains as high as possible, typically involving network downtime of no more than a few hours.
- Centralized Power Distribution: The Midspan, backed by a central UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply), provides cost-effective distribution of backed-up power and ensures uninterrupted network operation, even in cases of electrical power outages.